How much chocolate can kill a dog?
Dog owners often ask how much chocolate can kill a dog. While there is no right or wrong answer to this, we know dogs show symptoms of poisoning when they eat 20mg of theobromine (the toxic chemical in chocolate) for every kilogram they weigh. These symptoms become severe at 40 to 50mg per kg.
How long does it take for a dog to get sick after eating chocolate?
six to 12 hoursSymptoms of chocolate poisoning will usually show within six to 12 hours, but could appear within one hour. If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, act immediately and don’t wait for the signs to appear. We always recommend seeking veterinary advice if you have any concerns about the health of your pets.
Will my dog be OK after eating chocolate?
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. If your dog eats chocolate, you should monitor them closely and seek veterinary attention if they show any symptoms, or if they are very young, pregnant or have other health concerns.
What should you do if your dog eats chocolate?
What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate. If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.